Mathematical Drills to Thrill
1-Day Seminar Featuring Activities for an Activity-Based Mathematics Program
Do you struggle with effective and motivating drill and practice ideas for your classroom? Studies show that students in the elementary grades need 5 – 9 minutes of daily computational practice to achieve fluency with the basic facts of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The workshop, Drills to Thrill, gives you challenging and captivating drill and practice activities to enable elementary students to learn and maintain their basic facts.
Kim Sutton will share exciting methods to motivate students through whole class and small group instruction. These ready-to-use activities go far beyond timed drill. Kim has created special math choice activities for drill and practice that you can use immediately! This seminar will provide usable and practical activities for the daily 5 – 9 minutes to motivate and thrill children of all ages. Special emphasis will be placed on organization and management of drill and practice strategies. If you want instant help energizing your current drill and practice component or you just want help getting started – Drills to Thrill will be a truly rewarding experience. Don’t miss this opportunity to receive drill and practice ideas for all grade levels.
What You Will Learn:
- Strategies for the transition from manipulative understanding to fluency of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division facts.
- Dynamic drills that build mathematical confidence and independence.
- How to use the appropriate “tools” to improve fluency with basic facts.
- Effective use and management of drill and practice activities.
- How to improve the “visual” aspect of your classroom.
- Exciting new games, songs and activities to motivate students to learn their facts.
- How to measure the success of your drill and practice program.
- Place value drills that work in teaching this difficult concept across the grade levels.
Who Should Attend?
All 1-6 Classroom Teachers, Elementary Math Teachers, Resource Specialists, Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators should attend
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $20 service charge.
Credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – please check at the workshop. Verification of hours of participation will be provided for continuing education or re-certification requirements.
What To Bring:
Scissors, marking pens, scotch tape, glue stick, stapler and camera (optional).