Making Every Math Minute Count
Strategies for Algebraic Connections in Number Sense and Measurement
Feeling like there isn't enough time to get everything shoehorned into your mathematical program? "Making Every Math Minute Count" is a course for K-5 teachers. This course gives elementary teachers powerful algebraic connection strategies that are ready for you to implement tomorrow. Teachers will enjoy games, songs, books and puzzles. These activities utilize every minute of the math period to engage every student in making algebraic connections in number sense and measurement. This class addresses all Common Core, state and provincial standards.
Kim Sutton will model multi-grade strategies using classroom tested activities, games and puzzles. You will be thrilled with the collection of powerful materials ready for your classroom and be treated to engaging literature, songs, and practical strategies to make mathematics the best part of the teaching day!
Throughout this intensive workshop, participants will gain knowledge about mathematical content, math teaching strategies, and how children gain an algebraic foundation. Every game and activity in this class has three levels for use with all students in your classroom!
What You Will Learn:
- What algebra should look like in the elementary classroom.
- How math is nutrition for the brain through the latest research into the questions we ask students.
- The "top" ten children's literature titles for building algebraic power!
- Create language connections through mathematical puzzles, games and activities.
- How to differentiate mathematical instruction with Kim's "ready to go" ideas-more than you hoped for!
- Classroom and student tools for maximizing your instructional time for achieving the best results in all areas of mathematics.
- How to make the many dimensions of measurement more profound for your students with complex ideas presented in the most motivating of ways!
- How to make your classroom much more motivating for learning mathematics with Kim's amazing strategies!
Who Should Attend?
All K-5 Classroom Teachers, Elementary Math Teachers, Resource Specialists, and Curriculum Coordinators should attend.
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15.00 service charge.
Credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – please check at the workshop. Verification of hours of participation will be provided for continuing education or re-certification requirements.
What To Bring:
Scissors, marking pens, scotch tape, glue stick and camera (optional).