Roadmap for Mathematical Success - 2 Day
Teaching Intensive Math Content through Meaning and Motivation
This class focuses on how to map out and successfully teach the content of mathematics through practical ideas that can be implemented in your classroom tomorrow. Kim Sutton will share her model for covering the content and needed scaffolding skills to lead to the application of mathematics. She gives you a foundation for multiplication and division that starts in your primary classroom and continues through 5th grade.
Kim will use her four-part model for effective instruction; focus activities for all levels, drills to thrill, whole class lessons and small group instruction. Throughout the 2 days, Kim will share wonderful management and math ideas like – how to use your ball box for math! Kim has created new lessons for this class that span the grades K-5 with great music (Kim will share the research behind using music is the classroom), exciting literature and “hands on” math ideas.
Kim has created a powerful 10 Block Schedule that will strengthen and guide your teaching for math fluency for grades K-5. In this class Kim has worked hard to go deeper with each concept so you will leave the workshop with a clear vision of how to fit it all in and address all levels of learners.
About The Speaker:
Kim Sutton is a fabulous presenter, who has taught thousands of teachers the joy and excitement of hands-on math. Kim’s teaching experience includes over 30 years of classroom teaching, time as a regional math specialist and as a university instructor. Kim has worked with over 300 districts nationally and internationally as a staff development consultant. Kim has a Master’s degree in Mathematics Education and has been the keynote speaker for state and regional math conferences. Kim has produced many wonderful math games and tools and is the author of 16 titles, as well as the creator of the 10 Block Schedule for Math Fact Fluency program for grades K-6. Experience what others have learned—Kim Sutton is a dynamic, extraordinary educator whose enthusiasm and love for teaching are contagious! She gives you practical, easy to implement information and ideas that you will use for years. Don’t miss this wonderful opportunity to be thrilled, challenged, and energized!
What You Will Learn:
- Five new focus activities that pack “mathematical power” into five minutes.
- 10 Block Schedule for basic fact fluency.
- 10 great songs from Ron Brown that you cannot pass up.
- 10 Important Literature titles that invite mathematics into your classroom.
- New strategies that lead to division success through whole class lessons.
- Ways to weave in data analysis and practice part to whole relationships.
- Leaping lizards! A measurement unit that can be used at all grade levels for small group instruction.
- Games that students beg for throughout the year!
- Creating the road map for success with an easy to use tool.
- A powerful classroom management manual for a balanced math program.
- Starting with consistent data analysis—three graphs you can not live without!
- Strategies for reinforcing important math skills with focus activities for all levels.
- Using the five most important classroom math visuals to enhance critical content.
- How to create your 5-9 minutes daily of math fact practice with the 10 Block Schedule for Math Fact Fluency!
- Games that go the distance through the school year! How a simple word like game can change the motivation in your classroom.
- How to plan whole class and small group instruction for teaching the foundations for a variety of math concepts!
- Let’s use singing and dancing in mathematics to increase the cardio and longterm retention of information!
- A set of measurement work stations called Leaping Lizards! Measurement that Matters! Measurement that is “hands on”!
- Setting up a wheel for managing small group instruction! The answers to the difficult questions! Your class can be all that you imagined!
Who Should Attend?
All K-5 Classroom Teachers, Resource Specialists, Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators should attend.
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15 service charge.
Credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – please check at the workshop. Creative Mathematics is an approved Texas CPE provider.