Roadmap for Mathematical Success
Teaching Intensive Math Content through Meaning and Motivation
This class focuses on how to map out and successfully teach the content of mathematics through practical ideas that can be implemented in your classroom tomorrow. Kim Sutton will share her model for covering the content and needed scaffolding skills to lead to the application of mathematics. She gives you a foundation for multiplication and division that starts in your primary classroom and continues through 5th grade.
Kim will use her four-part model for effective instruction; focus activities for all levels, drills to thrill, whole class lessons and small group instruction. All through the day, Kim will share wonderful management and math ideas like – how to use your ball box for math!
Kim has created new lessons for this class that span the grades K-5 with great music (Kim will share the research behind using music is the classroom), exciting literature and “hands on” math ideas. Kim has created a powerful 10 Block Schedule that will strengthen and guide your teaching for math fluency for grades K-5. In this class Kim has worked hard to go deeper with each concept so you will leave the workshop with a clear vision of how to fit it all in and address all levels of learners.
What You Will Learn:
- Five new focus activities that pack “mathematical power” into five minutes.
- 10 Block Schedule for basic fact fluency.
- 10 great songs from Ron Brown that you cannot pass up.
- 10 Important Literature titles that invite mathematics into your classroom.
- New strategies that lead to division success through whole class lessons.
- Ways to weave in data analysis and practice part to whole relationships.
- Leaping lizards! A measurement unit that can be used at all grade levels for small group instruction.
- Games that students beg for throughout the year!
- Creating the road map for success with an easy to use tool.
Who Should Attend?
All K-5 Classroom Teachers, Elementary Math Teachers, Resource Specialists, and Curriculum Coordinators should attend.
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15 service charge.
Credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/ licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – please check at the workshop.