Don’t Forget Your Math!
Math Games to Remember
Fee for the workshop is $219 per person. Groups of 3 or more is $209 per person. Download PDF Brochure HERE.
Suitable for teachers who have never attended a Box Cars workshop as well as those who have, but would like to learn what’s new in the past couple years. Are you looking for engaging and effective ways to help your students gain confidence and competence with key math concepts? Would you like to have your students not just learn their math but master it so they never forget it? Come prepared to play old and new favorite math games that incorporate the use of cards, dice, multi-sided dice, number lines, our new math shakers and other easily found math manipulatives. Concepts covered include:
- Number Sense including Subitizing, Numeral Values, Counting On and Back, Between and Middle
- Understanding Place Value System including Whole Numbers and Decimals
- Fact Fluency including Basic Facts for adding, subtracting and multiplying
- Numbers and Operations in Base Ten, Single and Multi-Digit Operations including Order of Operations
- Fraction Equivalency
- Statistics, Data Management and Organization of Data in Charts and Graphs
Throughout the workshop participants will have the opportunity to play each games, learn how to differentiate the activities, how to develop math journal extensions, maximize math talk and how to use the game activities for assessment purposes. Student samples, game boards, ideas for whole/small group instruction will be provided. Interspersed will be practical ideas for classroom organization and management to ensure effective implementation of games as a teaching strategy. Ideas for developing weekly lesson plans and samples will be shared. Participants will be able to implement what they learn the next day in their classrooms and schools.
About the Speakers:
John Felling presents workshops that are engaging, informative, fun and hands-on. In his workshops, teachers learn a variety of games and activities (new ones every year), closely tied to national, state and provincial curriculum standards. The games and activities presented integrate easily with the learning resources teachers are already using or can easily obtain. John brings a wealth of knowledge, insight, tips and humor to his presentations gained through his decades of experience as an educator and educational leader. He also finds time to teach in classrooms a few days each month, staying current with the challenges facing students, teachers and administrators. He has been a featured speaker at many recent national conferences (NCTM, ASCD) focusing on practical solutions to issues in today's classroom. John is a co-owner of Box Cars And One-Eyed Jacks, mainly focusing on providing teacher workshops and training new Box Cars consultants. He is lead-author and co-author on several of the books in the Box Cars And One-Eyed Jacks series and has also authored the book Daily Physical Education – "No Sweat" For Classroom Teachers. Participants in his sessions have consistently expressed "Awesome job! Really enjoyed your presentation. There were a lot of great activities to bring back to my class." Attend his sessions and see why.
Jane Felling is co-author of the award winning Box Cars And One-Eyed Jacks series and has been a leader in the area of games as a teaching strategy for over 25 years. She has been a featured speaker at the National ASCD and NCTM conferences as well as the ASCD Summer Conference on Teaching Excellence, 100's of provincial and state conferences and has worked with 1000's of teachers and students during her consulting career. Her research for her masters was in the area of game instruction theory and she has taught K-8 and special education as part of her contracts. She has helped implement several school wide adoptions of the Box Cars resources and is passionate about helping teachers with brain compatible instructional strategies. Jane is known for her high energy presentation style and her engaging, informative, practical workshops.
Great Books By Box Cars And One-Eyed Jacks:
-Shake Shuffle & Roll
-Rolling into Math
-Math Fun “die”mentals
-Shuffling Into Math
-All Hands On Deck
-Piece It Together With Fractions
-Double Dare You
Participants Will Learn:
- How to set up a weekly math games program to ensure a cycle of engaged practice for all students.
- How to develop and use weekly math journals. You will learn our favorite visual note-taking strategies and ideas for incorporating math talk extensions.
- How to capture weekly work samples through the use of games, both whole class and small group center ideas.
- Let the Games Begin! Numbers and operations, strategies for building fact fluency.
- Exploring place value concepts and operations in Base 10, decimals and fractions.
- Games and strategies that incorporate probability, data management and graphing.
- The authors have presented thousands of workshops over the past 30 years and are leaders in the area of using games as a teaching strategy.
- Over the past three years, all Box Cars resources have been updated to include Math Journals, Math Talk questions, student samples and new larger format. New tiles have also been published over the past three years.
- Ideas for easy differentiation to meet the needs of all your students are provided throughout the workshop.
- You will get time to play and do lots of math, share with colleagues, and ideas for immediate use in your classroom.
Who Should Attend?
Kindergarten to 5th grade teachers, math coaches, teacher assistants, special education and after school program staff, and curriculum coordinators.
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15 service charge.
Registration 8:00 am
Class Starts 8:30 am
No Host Lunch 11:45 am
Adjourn 3:00 pm
This Seminar Includes:
- Morning Coffee & Pastries
- Door Prizes
- Extensive Resource Handbook
- Materials package valued at over $30
½ unit of credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – details provided at the seminar.
Valley River Inn
1000 Valley River Way
Eugene, OR 97401
How To Register:
Call (800) 841-5193 ~ or use our printable Registration Form: either mail, fax, or use your credit card on our secure server. Visa, Master Card, Discover and American Express accepted (US funds only).
Don’t Forget Your Math!
- Presenter: Box Cars & One-Eyed Jacks
- Product Code: 2739
- Availability: In Stock