Workstations that Create a Mathematical Mindset – 2 Day
Maximize Math Minutes & Differentiate
Fee for the workshop is $269 per person. Groups of 3 or more is $249 per person.
Elementary math teachers are being asked to create a learning environment that encourages a strong mathematical mindset. Kim Sutton will share how to create math workstations that do just that. You will leave with a grade appropriate set of number sense workstations that can be used next week in your elementary classroom! Kim’s classes are content intensive, motivational and extremely practical. This class will delve into how to manage workstations so that they are powerful for students instead of exhausting the teacher. She will share her powerful balanced diet for management of activity-based mathematics. Kim will share how she designs workstations for maximum participation and mathematical focus as she matches an introductory lesson in mathematics to workstation practice. The workstations that each participant will receive are designed for developing strong number sense and creating student independence. Participants will feel the mathematical intensity and experience the motivation behind every task. You will learn how workstations reinforce and enhance math instruction for both state and common core standards. Kim’s classes are always practical, fast-paced and fun. Participants will be challenged with workstation games and activities for subitizing, place value, basic fact strategies, fractions and improving working memory! Kim brings more than 40 years of experience as an educator in elementary education and every teacher who attends will have a newfound understanding and comfort with current content along with everything necessary to make workstations happen in the elementary classroom. Participants will watch Kim as she teaches with the same joy and passion as she uses with her students – learn from a master educator. Teachers who attend classes with Kim receive great ideas and games they can use the next day, and skills for improved teaching methods. Teachers take all this back to the classroom and implement the ideas immediately! Participants should get to class early, as there will be make it tasks to do for each exciting day!
About the Speaker:
Kim Sutton is a fabulous presenter, who has taught thousands of teachers the joy and excitement of hands-on math. Kim's teaching experience includes over 40 years of classroom teaching, time as a regional math specialist and as a university instructor. Kim has worked with over 500 districts nationally and internationally as a staff development consultant. Kim has a Master's degree in Mathematics Education and has been the keynote speaker for state and regional math conferences. Kim has produced many wonderful math games and tools and is the author of 17 titles, as well as the creator of the 10 Block Schedule for Math Fact Fluency program for grades K-6. Experience what others have learned—Kim Sutton is a dynamic, extraordinary educator whose enthusiasm and love for teaching are contagious! She gives you practical, easy to implement information and ideas that you will use for years. Don't miss this wonderful opportunity to be thrilled, challenged, and energized!
Great Books by Kim:
- All Aboard the Algebra Express
- Fractions: A Part of the Whole
- Math Engineers
- Math Focus Activities
- Visual Tools
- Number Line Workbook
- The Power of Digital Root
- Making Math Books with Children
- Powerful Numbers 0-100
- Place Value with Pizzazz
- Dynamic Dice
- Do the Math
- Math Drills to Thrill
- Let's Get Started!
- Dazzling Dominoes
- Bump It!
- Cooking Up Math Concentration
Learning Outcomes for Two Action-Packed Days!
- Participants will learn powerful techniques for games and activities as practice tools in the workstations, classroom management of the games and reinforcements of the content including number sense of whole numbers, fractions and decimals, along with algebraic thinking.
- How to use visuals effectively in the elementary classroom. Visual tools in the elementary classroom engage and reinforce concepts. According to the Visual Teaching Alliance, approximately 65% of the population are visual learners and the brain processes visual information 60,000 times faster than text. Math needs to be visual. Kim will share how visuals will assist students during workstations.
- Maximize time with productive math workstations that differentiate to meet the needs of every student.
- Participants will learn how to organize classroom instructional minutes to maximize the time you spend on workstations to reach the intensity of the standards. The research states the most effective math programs engage students in 400-450 minutes each week on mathematics. Kim Sutton will model management for the minutes to be used in workstations.
- Build strong mathematical language strategies through math workstations. Students will speak the academic language of mathematics through game playing. Kim will share assessment strategies for measuring math language.
- Participants will construct student and teacher tools for mathematical content that is practiced with the included workstations. These tools include Concentration games to work on developing working memory in elementary students for long-term retention of content.
- Emphasis will be placed on modeling multiple standards within each game.
- Connections to children’s literature titles will help keep students engaged during the workstations.
Registration 8:00 am
Class Starts 8:30 am
No Host Lunch 11:45 am
Adjourn 3:00 pm
Who Should Attend?
All K-5 Classroom Teachers, Resource Specialists, Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators should attend.
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15 service charge.
This Seminar Includes:
- Morning Coffee & Pastries
- Door Prizes
- Tool Kit & Extensive Resource Handbook
1 unit of credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – please check at the workshop.
What To Bring:
Scissors, marking pens, scotch tape, glue stick, stapler, and an individual hole punch.
Fieldbrook Elementary School
4070 Fieldbrook Road
McKinleyville, CA 95519
How To Register:
Call (800) 841-5193 ~ or use our printable Registration Form: either mail, fax, or use your credit card on our secure server. Visa, Master Card, Discover and American Express accepted (US funds only).
Workstations that Create a Mathematical Mindset - 2 Day
- Presenter: Kim Sutton
- Product Code: 2712
- Availability: In Stock