Math Fact Fluency
Every Teacher’s Responsibility
Fee for the workshop is $219 per person. Groups of 3 or more is $209 per person.
Educators across the country face a common concern, "We do not have a plan for math fact fluency." This exciting NEW Kim Sutton class, for grades K-5, will focus on the all-important goal of math fact fluency set by the Common Core, state and provincial standards. Kim Sutton Associate, Linda Wallace, will discuss the long-standing need for math fact fluency and address content in an amazing day of instruction.
Basic facts are the tools for meaningful mathematics and Linda will share strategies for achieving math fact fluency through song, dance, literature, games and other practice tools! In this class, participants will experience powerful models for all four operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Through these models, participants can focus on teaching with more depth for higher levels of thinking. In other words, how teaching for understanding gives students the ability to perform more complex computation.
Linda will share designing intensive practice schedules using computational strategies for fluency with math facts. Participants will leave with constructed tools to use in the classroom along with a complete manual of ideas to maximize the experience of practice with math facts.
About the Speaker:
Linda Wallace is a veteran of thirty-six years in classrooms ranging from kindergarten to high school. She just completed her eighth year as a math instructional coach working in both elementary and middle schools. Having met Kim at a workshop some seven years ago, she immediately hooked-up with her philosophy of engaging students in routines that embed conceptual understanding as well as fluency. Linda has trained teachers in her district, region and state in elementary and middle school math practices. She also works within her district to model teach in classrooms and uses many routines and ideas from Kim's training to show teachers how they can engage students in meaningful tasks developing strong reasoning skills. With an in-depth understanding of CCSSM, Linda uses Kim's materials to help students master concepts at this new level of rigor demanded by CC. Looking for answers to the challenges of Common Core? Linda will help you and your teachers make that transition in a way that allows math to come alive in your classrooms.
What You Will Learn:
- Which models for each of the four operations are most important
- Which computational strategies for what grade levels
- Simple student-constructed tools that can be used for all strategies
- How to use three generic games with hundreds of possibilities
- New Ron Brown music that will have us dancing in the classroom
- How to be effective with choral chanting! What does that look like in today's classroom?
- Make It games and work stations like you have never seen before!
- How to affect long term retention of the facts using working memory
- Check in and get busy! There will be a "make it" projects to do before each class starts!
- Let's build powerful models for developing understanding of the four operations! These models will show how deep students can go mathematically! If they build it, the mathematics will be understood.
- Tapping into important computational strategies for each operation! Which grade levels are responsible for which computational strategies? That question will be answered!
- How to set up the important daily block of time! Let's use a powerful graphic organizer for a ten-day cycle of practice!
- Let's follow a ten-day cycle of practice in the classroom! We made the map and let's get to the destination! The motivation is in place!
- Choral chanting for fact practice!
- More practice ideas that are easy to implement tomorrow in your classroom!
- Strategies to improve "working memory" for long term retention of math facts!
- Designing games for practice! Three designs that work every time!
- Using a RTI model for small group stations!
- Finish line! Questions and comments!
Who Should Attend?
All K-5 Classroom Teachers, Resource Specialists, Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators should attend.
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15 service charge.
This Seminar Includes:
Morning Coffee, Pastries
Tool Kit & Extensive Resource Handbook
1/2 unit of credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – please check at the workshop.
What To Bring:
Scissors, marking pens, scotch tape, glue stick, stapler, hole punch and camera (optional).
Holiday Inn Express Knoxville West
6324 Papermill Drive
Knoxville, TN 37919
How To Register:
Call (800) 841-5193 ~ Or use our Online Registration Form: either mail, fax, or use your credit card on our secure server. Visa, Master Card, Discover and American Express accepted (US funds only).
Math Fact Fluency
- Presenter: Linda Wallace
- Product Code: 2671
- Availability: In Stock