Math Fact Fluency
Every Teacher’s Responsibility
Fee for the workshop is $229 per person. Groups of 3 or more is $215 per person. Lunch is included.
Educators across the country face a common concern, “We do not have a plan for math fact fluency.” In this exciting NEW class, for grades K-5, Kim Sutton will focus on the all-important goal of math fact fluency set by the Common Core, state and provincial standards. Kim has long stood by the need for math fact fluency. Basic facts are the tools for meaningful mathematics and Kim will share strategies for achieving math fact fluency through song, dance, literature, games and other practice tools! In this class, participants will experience powerful models for all four operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Through these models, participants can focus on teaching with more depth for higher levels of thinking. In other words, how teaching for understanding gives students the ability to perform more complex computation. Kim will share how she designs her intensive practice schedules using computational strategies for fluency with math facts. Participants will leave with constructed tools to use in the classroom along with a complete manual of ideas to maximize the experience of practice with math facts.
About the Speaker:
Kim Sutton is a fabulous presenter, who has taught thousands of teachers the joy and excitement of hands-on math. Kim's teaching experience includes over 30 years of classroom teaching, time as a regional math specialist and as a university instructor. Kim has worked with over 300 districts nationally and internationally as a staff development consultant. Kim has a Master's degree in Mathematics Education and has been the keynote speaker for state and regional math conferences. Kim has produced many wonderful math games and tools and is the author of 17 titles, as well as the creator of the 10 Block Schedule for Math Fact Fluency program for grades K-6. Experience what others have learned—Kim Sutton is a dynamic, extraordinary educator whose enthusiasm and love for teaching are contagious! She gives you practical, easy to implement information and ideas that you will use for years. Don't miss this wonderful opportunity to be thrilled, challenged, and energized!
Great Books by Kim:
- All Aboard the Algebra Express
- Fractions: A Part of the Whole
- Math Engineers
- Math Focus Activities
- Visual Tools
- Number Line Workbook
- The Power of Digital Root
- Making Math Books with Children
- Powerful Numbers 0-100
- Place Value with Pizzazz
- Dynamic Dice
- Do the Math
- Math Drills to Thrill
- Let's Get Started!
- Dazzling Dominoes
- Bump It!
- Cooking Up Math Concentration
What You Will Learn:
- Which models for each of the four operations are most important
- Which computational strategies for which grade levels
- Simple student-constructed tools that can be used for all strategies
- How to use three generic games with hundreds of possibilities
- New Ron Brown music that will have us dancing in the classroom
- How to be effective with choral chanting! What does that look like in today’s classroom?
- Make It games and work stations like you have never seen before
- How to affect long term retention of the facts using working memory
- 8:00 Registration. Check in and get busy! There will be three “make it” projects to do before class starts!
- 8:30 Let’s build powerful models for developing understanding of the four operations! These models will show how deep students can go mathematically! If they build it, the mathematics will be understood.
- 9:45 Tapping into important computational strategies for each operation! Which grade levels are responsible for which computational strategies? That question will be answered!
- 10:10 Morning Break and Viewing Time
- 10:20 How to set up the important daily block of time! Let’s use a powerful graphic organizer for a ten-day cycle of practice!
- 11:00 Let’s follow a ten-day cycle of practice in the classroom! We made the map and let’s get to the destination! The motivation is in place!
- 11:45 Lunch Break
- 12:45 Choral chanting for fact practice!
- 1:00 More practice ideas that are easy to implement tomorrow in your classroom!
- 1:30 Strategies to improve “working memory” for long term retention of math facts!
- 2:05 Designing games for practice! Three designs that work every time!
- 2:30 Using a RTI model for small group stations!
- 3:00 Finish line! Questions and comments!
Registration 8:00 am
Class Starts 8:30 am
Lunch 11:45 am
Adjourn 3:00 pm
Who Should Attend?
All K-5 Classroom Teachers, Resource Specialists, Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators should attend.
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15 service charge.
This Seminar Includes:
- Morning Coffee, Pastries and Lunch
- Tool Kit & Extensive Resource Handbook
- Door Prizes
½ unit of credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – please check at the workshop. PD Clock Hours available with prior district approval.
What To Bring:
Scissors, marking pens, scotch tape, glue stick, stapler, hole punch and camera (optional).
Holiday Inn West-Itasca
860 W. Irving Park Road
Itasca, IL 60143
How To Register:
Call (800) 841-5193 ~ or use our printable Registration Form: either mail, fax, or use your credit card on our secure server. Visa, Master Card, Discover and American Express accepted (US funds only).
Math Fact Fluency
- Presenter: Kim Sutton
- Product Code: 2633
- Availability: In Stock