Children's Literature and Smart Math Strategies - 2 Day
2 Day Seminar
"Children's Literature and Smart Math Strategies to Teach Mathematical Content" is a 2-day course for K-5 teachers. This course gives elementary teachers powerful math content instruction with integrated literature that will effectively improve students' understanding and performance in a standards-based math classroom.
This class is aligned to state, provincial and Common Core Standards for mathematics using powerful brain-based research to teach mathematical content in five emphasis areas—-Smart Strategies for Number Sense, Math Humor and Motivation, Math with Money, Transformational and Three-Dimensional Geometry, and Probability and Data Analysis.
Kim models strategies using selected literature titles for real world connections helping students move away from just counting to mathematical solutions. An extensive bibliography of children's literature will be included. Teachers will experience Kim Sutton's motivational approach for utilizing "smart strategies" to move students from counting into meaningful computation done without labor or hardship! Some of the smart strategies include doubling numbers, factoring, subtraction, shortcuts for computation, and the power of multiples.
Kim will bring new ideas for using a monthly riddle board in the classroom, along with inspirational ideas that bring new life into your classroom. Participants will work with "hands on" ideas for transformational geometry and the study of three-dimensional objects.
Through this intensive workshop, teachers will gain knowledge about the importance of activities that engage students in intensive data analysis opportunity. New ideas that include games, songs, literature, and "hands on" activities will be included in this workshop-making your mathematics classroom a happening place for learning! Kim brings an amazing expertise and enthusiasm to teaching math that will have a great impact on you're teaching – don't miss it!
What You Will Learn:
- Participants will build stronger mathematical knowledge through five areas of emphasis—-smart strategies for number sense, math humor and motivation, math with money, transformational and three-dimensional geometry, probability and data analysis
- Participants will learn brain-based research on effective techniques for instruction of mathematical content.
- Participants will learn the newest titles of powerful children's literature that model important thinking strategies.
- Participants will experience new and "classic" management "treasures" that assist in creating a visual connection to math content in the classroom.
- Participants will learn about specific tools for mathematical content that are constructed by elementary students through "masters" included in the course manual.
- Participants will learn how to assist students to move beyond counting and become thinkers of mathematics through the "smart strategies" of computation.
- Participants will learn why algebraic thinking and data analysis are critical to the elementary classroom.
- Participants will learn what the guiding principles of elementary mathematics are and how to get these "big ideas" across to students.
Who Should Attend?
All K-5 Classroom Teachers, Elementary Math Teachers, Resource Specialists, and Curriculum Coordinators should attend.
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15.00 service charge.
Earn Gradute-Level Professional Development Semester Units/Credits for your completion of a Creative Mathematics Workshop. Learn more at the Courses4Teachers website: https://courses4teachers.net/creative-mathematics/
What To Bring:
Scissors, marking pens, scotch tape, glue stick, stapler, and camera (optional).