Mathematics: The Thinking Sport
Number Sense, Reasoning, & Problem Solving Workshop for Grades K-6
Creative Mathematics is very excited to be offering classes presented by Marcy Cook. Marcy is one of the top math presenters in the nation and we are thrilled to be bringing her classes to you! In this lively and information-packed seminar, for teachers grades K-6, Marcy will share her effective hands-on activities. You will learn how to successfully organize daily math lessons and plan independent task time. A day with Marcy will be a day well spent!
Join Marcy Cook's class Mathematics: The Thinking Sport Number Sense, Reasoning, & Problem Solving for an inspirational day filled with innovative hands on math activities. She will show you activities to engage all students in making math meaningful with emphasis on the development of number sense, reasoning, and problem solving. You will learn how to use a variety of activities for encouraging students to persevere, THINK and justify their thinking. Watch Marcy model the Common Core, State & Provincial Standards of practice throughout the day.
About the Speaker:
Marcy Cook master educator, author and math specialist, has presented workshops and seminars for teachers throughout the USA and in over two dozen foreign countries. Having taught two years in the International School in Thessaloniki Greece, she has provided math inservices in South America, Central America, Canada, Mexico, Asia, Africa and Europe. With a Bachelor of Arts from the University of California, Santa Barbara, and a Masters Degree from Stanford University she has taught all elementary grades, junior high, high schools and university levels. Marcy currently works as an independent math consultant training thousands of enthusiastic teachers with her active, hands-on workshops. Her experience with classroom teaching, GATE (gifted and talented education), and student teaching supervision have inspired her to create meaningful math materials (over 101 books and 186 tile task card packets) and to share her ideas with others. Marcy is a very creative and innovative presenter who brings energy and motivation to her sessions. Her active hands-on workshops leave teachers with practical ideas and strategies to take back to the classroom immediately.
PROMOTE THE DEVELOPMENT OF NUMBER SENSE
- Involve all students in meaningful mathematics
- Relate math to real world situations
- Provide visualizations and tools for continual engagement
- Constantly assess from beginning to end of the math period
- Participate in a variety of rich number sense starting activities
- See how centers can make the difference
- Connect Common Core, State & Provincial Standards for mathematical practice to content standards with independent task time activities
ENGAGE ALL IN REASONING ACTIVITIES
- Constantly assess students thinking with overt responses
- Develop "if…then" thinking with colors, shapes & more
- Use simple materials to engage ALL Improve thinking skills with higher order processing
- Speak the language of mathematics and expect students to do the same
- Utilize the language of logic: small but important words
- Ensure that critical thinking is a classroom value
- Observe questioning techniques to promote divergent mathematical thinking
- Provide problems with more than one right answer
- Find problems with more than one way to obtain the answer
- View problem solving strategies Use stumper problems to challenge students daily
- Make every minute count in your math class
What You Will Learn:
- Relate math to our everyday world
- Plan activities to develop number sense in all
- Incorporate reasoning into your daily activities
- Engage all students in problem solving
- Constantly assess math understanding
- Use hands on materials for alternatives to paper pencil drill and practice
- Focus on independent task time to reinforce math concepts
- Develop questioning techniques for uncovering student thinking
- Ensure that problems with more than one answer are prevalent
- Differentiate your math program with meaningful tasks
- Create an environment which invites students to become actively engaged in mathematical thinking
- Utilize centers to maximize math minutes
- Ensure understanding of concepts and vocabulary with meaningful pursuits
- Shift instruction from telling to involving
Who Should Attend?
All K-6 Classroom Teachers, Resource Specialists, Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators should attend.
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15 service charge.
This Seminar Includes:
Morning Coffee & Pastries, Lunch
Extensive Resource Handbook
½ unit of credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – please check at the workshop. Verification of hours of participation will be provided for continuing education or recertification.