Math Games for the Common Core Standards (Cheryl Henjum)
Teaching Intensive Content With Motivation
About The Seminar:
Cheryl Henjum will share Kim Sutton's passion for the learning of mathematics through joyful experiences using games and other motivational strategies that practice mathematical content so that it is never forgotten! This exciting new class is filled with practical games and is designed for teachers of K-5 students using dice and spinners. Participants will receive a manual and tool kit for easy implementation of the games in any classroom situation. The games will incorporate number sense through basic facts, place value, fractions, geometry and algebraic thinking. Students will understand the math content by repeated use of these motivating and exciting games. Cheryl Henjum will present these practical games that practice math skills and align to the Common Core Standards. The game boards and materials are so simple and easy to implement. Special effort will be made to show how all grade levels can use these games. Come prepared to enjoy the songs, dances and games that will change your math classroom into a motivational festival of mathematics.
What You Will Learn:
- 25 NEW games for reinforcing math skills of the Common Core Standards
- Management strategies for maximizing student time on task
- Place value games with neverending pizzazz!
- Building proportional reasoning with games for the three models of fractions
- Number sense, number sense, number sense!
- A deeper understanding of the Common Core Standards
- Take the fear out of teaching math and put the fun back in
- Add these words to your math program: fun, games, practice, learn, understand
- Why Games Are Powerful Tools for All Math Concepts! How to Teach Meaningful Math and Use Games to Reinforce the Concepts
- Number Sense Games Using Dice that Develop Strong Understanding of Place Value
- Games for Drill and Practice—New Ideas for Math Fact Fluency
- How to Set Up Games for Differentiation Through Response to Intervention
- Games for Developing Proportional Reasoning! Fractions Made Easy!
- Management Ideas for Making Game Time Fun for All!
- Connecting the Common Core Standards to Each Game
- Learn How to Differentiate Games to Accommodate all Learners in your Classroom to use Tomorrow in the Elementary Classroom
About The Speaker:
Cheryl Henjum has over 16 years of experience in the world of education as a teacher, Title I and Special Education Director, as well as a P-12 Administrator. Working with teachers and students of all socioeconomic levels; Cheryl's experiences have allowed her to understand the different levels of learners and teachers within various school systems. Cheryl's passion for mathematics evolved while in the classroom, but more so when leading and working teachers who were frustrated by students not being fluent in math. Cheryl began working with Kim Sutton over 5 years ago, believing and knowing that implementing hands-on activities, music and movement into the classroom not only proved to increase fluency, but it also increased teacher enthusiasm when teaching math! Cheryl has shared her journey and successes with many teachers, coaches, directors and administrators at local, state and national conferences. She currently works with various districts to help implement and drive math instruction using an effective RTI approach when teaching mathematics. You will find Cheryl's presentation style energizing, practical and FUN! Moreover, Cheryl wants educators to walk away feeling confident and comfortable with new activities and practical assessments that can be used in the classroom immediately! If you are a teacher who is tired of feeling frustrated, or maybe you just need a new approach to teaching your next math lesson….I guarantee that you will walk away feeling excited about teaching math to ALL of your students!
Who Should Attend?
All K-5 Classroom Teachers, Resource Specialists, Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators should attend.
Registration 8:00 am
Class starts 8:30 am
Lunch 11:45 am
Adjourn 3:00 pm
What to Bring:
Scissors, marking pens, scotch tape, stapler, hole punch and camera (optional).
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15.00 service charge.
1/2 unit of credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – details provided at the seminar. Verification of hours of participation will be provided for continuing education or re-certification requirements.
How To Register:
Call (800) 841-5193 ~ Or use our Online Registration Form: either mail, fax, or use your credit card on our secure server. Visa, Master Card, Discover, and American Express accepted (US funds only).