Making Sense of Numbers & Shapes, Reasoning & Relationships
Workshop for Grades K-6
Creative Mathematics is very excited to be offering classes presented by Marcy Cook. Marcy is one of the top math presenters in the nation and we are thrilled to be bringing her classes to you! In this lively and information-packed seminar, for teachers grades K-6, Marcy will share her effective hands-on activities. You will learn how to successfully organize daily math lessons and plan independent task time. A day with Marcy will be a day well spent!
Join Marcy Cook's class MAKING SENSE OF NUMBERS & SHAPES, REASONING & RELATIONSHIPS for an inspirational day filled with innovative hands on math activities. She will show you activities to engage all students in making math meaningful with emphasis on the development of number sense, reasoning, and relationship thinking. You will learn how to use a variety of activities for writing mathematical equations leading to algebraic thinking and for seeing relationships with. both numbers and shapes. Come spend a day with Marcy, a day you'll never forget.
HELP KIDS SEE THE WORLD THROUGH A MATHEMATICAL LENS
- Relate math to real world situations
- Engage students in equation writing experiences from visualizations
- Involve all students in meaningful mathematical situations
- Deal with the equation as a balance, the beginning of algebraic thinking
- Use equations for starters and stumpers in your daily routine
- Observe questioning techniques to promote divergent mathematical thinking
- Participate in rich number sense activities
PROVIDE A VARIETY OF REASONING ACTIVITIES
- Utilize the language of logic: small but important words
- Improve thinking skills with higher order processing
- Deal with colors, coin values, geometric shapes for "if…then…" logical thinking
- Use simple materials to engage ALL
- Speak the language of mathematics and expect students to do the same
- Constantly assess students thinking with overt responses
LOOK FOR RELATIONSHIPS & PATTERNS
- Solve problems with multiple solutions with understanding of patterning
- Incorporate logical thinking into arithmetic problems by seeking relationships
- Build success in algebraic thinking beginning in the primary grades
- Use independent task time to maximize learning
- Provide a quality math program with center time for individual success
- Make every minute count in your math class
What You Will Learn:
Relate math to our everyday world
Plan activities to develop number sense in all
Incorporate reasoning into your daily activities
Engage all students in problem solving
Develop meaningful equation writing activities
Constantly assess math understanding
Use hands on materials for alternatives to paper pencil drill and practice
Focus on independent task time to reinforce math concepts
Develop questioning techniques for uncovering student thinking
Provide a rich environment with both number and shape pursuits
Ensure that problems with more than one answer are prevalent
Balance arithmetic and algebraic thinking in your program
Differentiate your math program with meaningful tasks
Who Should Attend?
All K-6 Classroom Teachers, Resource Specialists, Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators should attend.
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15 service charge.
This Seminar Includes:
Morning Coffee & Pastries, Lunch
Extensive Resource Handbook
½ unit of credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – please check at the workshop. Verification of hours of participation will be provided for continuing education or recertification.