Establishing Critical Math Routines – Best Practices with All Standards – 2 Day (Linda Wallace)
This FUN 2 day workshop for K-5 will focus on how to take short amounts of time in the teaching day to establish routines with math activities that build strength in number sense including areas like place value, number properties, proportional reasoning, fact fluency and mental math. The strategies in this class, developed by Kim Sutton, are proven to motivate and create constant reinforcement of skills for all students. Participants will be actively involved in constructing and using math tools that deepen their understanding of the fundamentals of math instruction. All of the strategies will be connected to the math standards of all participants. Participants will learn how to use every minute in the classroom to keep students actively involved in thinking and reinforcing important concepts. These strategies are all ready to use. Participants will receive a huge manual along with a powerful toolkit of materials. Scissors, markers, scotch tape and a stapler will be needed for full involvement in this hands-on workshop. This workshop will help teachers understand how to differentiate instruction with music, dance, literature, games and activities. Become more effective at how mathematics is approached with elementary students today!
What You Will Learn:
- New powerful and effective strategies for fact fluency
- Increase the impact of the classroom number line with grade specific questions
- Turn your Fridays into a day of higher level thinking
- More mental math ideas using the simplest of tools
- Making connections with words and numbers for proportional reasoning
- Using music and movements that reinforce math concepts for permanence
- The daily activities you need to build strong number sense
2 Day Program Highlights:
- Amazing strategies to create instant student engagement without extensive preparation
- Connecting the standards to each strategy
- New literature titles for simple connections in number sense and other content strands
- Simple but effective games for reinforcement of skills
- Learn how to cover all the standards using one simple tool with students
- Introduction to new music and dances from Ron Brown of Intelli-Tunes
- Materials that are easy and ready to use tomorrow in the elementary classroom
- Powerful fact fluency tools you can implement immediately
- Learn how to differentiate activities to accommodate all learners in your classroom
About The Speaker:
Linda Wallace is a veteran of thirty-six years in classrooms ranging from kindergarten to high school. She just completed her eighth year as a math instructional coach working in both elementary and middle schools. Having met Kim at a workshop some seven years ago, she immediately hooked-up with her philosophy of engaging students in routines that embed conceptual understanding as well as fluency. Linda has trained teachers in her district, region and state in elementary and middle school math practices. She also works within her district to model teach in classrooms and uses many routines and ideas from Kim’s training to show teachers how they can engage students in meaningful tasks developing strong reasoning skills. With an in-depth understanding of CCSSM, Linda uses Kim’s materials to help students master concepts at this new level of rigor demanded by CC. Looking for answers to the challenges of Common Core? Linda will help you and your teachers make that transition in a way that allows math to come alive in your classrooms.
Who Should Attend?
All K-5 Classroom Teachers, Resource Specialists, Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators should attend.
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15.00 service charge.
What To Bring:
Scissors, marking pens, scotch tape, glue stick, stapler, hole punch and camera (optional).
1 unit of credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – please check at the workshop.
How To Register:
Call (800) 841-5193 ~ Or use our Online Registration Form: either mail, fax, or use your credit card on our secure server. Visa, Master Card, Discover, and American Express accepted (US funds only).