Establishing Critical Math Routines – Best Practices with All Standards – 2 Day (Julie Kubiak)
This FUN 2 day workshop for K-5 will focus on how to take short amounts of time in the teaching day to establish routines with math activities that build strength in number sense including areas like place value, number properties, proportional reasoning, fact fluency and mental math. The strategies in this class, developed by Kim Sutton, are proven to motivate and create constant reinforcement of skills for all students. Participants will be actively involved in constructing and using math tools that deepen their understanding of the fundamentals of math instruction. All of the strategies will be connected to the math standards of all participants. Participants will learn how to use every minute in the classroom to keep students actively involved in thinking and reinforcing important concepts. These strategies are all ready to use. Participants will receive a huge manual along with a powerful toolkit of materials. Scissors, markers, scotch tape and a stapler will be needed for full involvement in this hands-on workshop. This workshop will help teachers understand how to differentiate instruction with music, dance, literature, games and activities. Become more effective at how mathematics is approached with elementary students today!
What You Will Learn:
- New powerful and effective strategies for fact fluency
- Increase the impact of the classroom number line with grade specific questions
- Turn your Fridays into a day of higher level thinking
- More mental math ideas using the simplest of tools
- Making connections with words and numbers for proportional reasoning
- Using music and movements that reinforce math concepts for permanence
- The daily activities you need to build strong number sense
2 Day Program Highlights:
- Amazing strategies to create instant student engagement without extensive preparation
- Connecting the standards to each strategy
- New literature titles for simple connections in number sense and other content strands
- Simple but effective games for reinforcement of skills
- Learn how to cover all the standards using one simple tool with students
- Introduction to new music and dances from Ron Brown of Intelli-Tunes
- Materials that are easy and ready to use tomorrow in the elementary classroom
- Powerful fact fluency tools you can implement immediately
- Learn how to differentiate activities to accommodate all learners in your classroom
About The Speaker:
Julie Kubiak, a veteran teacher of twenty-five years, is an experienced mathematics trainer who has presented numerous math workshops at the district, state, and national levels. She has 16 years of classroom experience at the elementary level, 10 years of experience teaching at the university level, and has worked for the past eleven years as a district math curriculum specialist for kindergarten through sixth grades. Julie’s passion lies in helping teachers learn to love and feel more comfortable with math so they can share that love with their students. She believes that all students can learn mathematics through a fun and engaging classroom environment. Upon meeting Kim in 2002, she became an staunch advocate of Kim Sutton’s philosophy about mathematics instruction. Through the use of Kim’s ideas and mathematical routines she demonstrates how to engage students in meaningful tasks that develop conceptual understanding that leads to in-depth understanding of concepts and reasoning skills. Feeling bored, stagnant, or stifled with your math instruction? Julie will help you rediscover a passion for numeracy that will propel your students on a life-long journey of learning in mathematics.
Who Should Attend?
All K-5 Classroom Teachers, Resource Specialists, Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators should attend.
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15.00 service charge.
What To Bring:
Scissors, marking pens, scotch tape, glue stick, stapler, hole punch and camera (optional).
1 unit of credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – please check at the workshop.
How To Register:
Call (800) 841-5193 ~ Or use our Online Registration Form: either mail, fax, or use your credit card on our secure server. Visa, Master Card, Discover, and American Express accepted (US funds only).