Establishing Critical Math Routines – Best Practices with All Standards – 2 Day (Cheryl Henjum)
This FUN 2 day workshop for K-5 will focus on how to take short amounts of time in the teaching day to establish routines with math activities that build strength in number sense including areas like place value, number properties, proportional reasoning, fact fluency and mental math. The strategies in this class, developed by Kim Sutton, are proven to motivate and create constant reinforcement of skills for all students. Participants will be actively involved in constructing and using math tools that deepen their understanding of the fundamentals of math instruction. All of the strategies will be connected to the math standards of all participants. Participants will learn how to use every minute in the classroom to keep students actively involved in thinking and reinforcing important concepts. These strategies are all ready to use. Participants will receive a huge manual along with a powerful toolkit of materials. Scissors, markers, scotch tape and a stapler will be needed for full involvement in this hands-on workshop. This workshop will help teachers understand how to differentiate instruction with music, dance, literature, games and activities. Become more effective at how mathematics is approached with elementary students today!
What You Will Learn:
- New powerful and effective strategies for fact fluency
- Increase the impact of the classroom number line with grade specific questions
- Turn your Fridays into a day of higher level thinking
- More mental math ideas using the simplest of tools
- Making connections with words and numbers for proportional reasoning
- Using music and movements that reinforce math concepts for permanence
- The daily activities you need to build strong number sense
2 Day Program Highlights:
- Amazing strategies to create instant student engagement without extensive preparation
- Connecting the standards to each strategy
- New literature titles for simple connections in number sense and other content strands
- Simple but effective games for reinforcement of skills
- Learn how to cover all the standards using one simple tool with students
- Introduction to new music and dances from Ron Brown of Intelli-Tunes
- Materials that are easy and ready to use tomorrow in the elementary classroom
- Powerful fact fluency tools you can implement immediately
- Learn how to differentiate activities to accommodate all learners in your classroom
About The Speaker:
Cheryl Henjum has over 16 years of experience in the world of education as a teacher, Title I and Special Education Director, as well as a P-12 Administrator. Working with teachers and students of all socioeconomic levels; Cheryl’s experiences have allowed her to understand the different levels of learners and teachers within various school systems. Cheryl’s passion for mathematics evolved while in the classroom, but more so when leading and working teachers who were frustrated by students not being fluent in math. Cheryl began working with Kim Sutton over 5 years ago, believing and knowing that implementing hands-on activities, music and movement into the classroom not only proved to increase fluency, but it also increased teacher enthusiasm when teaching math! Cheryl has shared her journey and successes with many teachers, coaches, directors and administrators at local, state and national conferences. She currently works with various districts to help implement and drive math instruction using an effective RTI approach when teaching mathematics. You will find Cheryl’s presentation style energizing, practical and FUN! Moreover, Cheryl wants educators to walk away feeling confident and comfortable with new activities and practical assessments that can be used in the classroom immediately! If you are a teacher who is tired of feeling frustrated, or maybe you just need a new approach to teaching your next math lesson….I guarantee that you will walk away feeling excited about teaching math to ALL of your students!
Who Should Attend?
All K-5 Classroom Teachers, Resource Specialists, Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators should attend.
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15.00 service charge.
What To Bring:
Scissors, marking pens, scotch tape, glue stick, stapler, hole punch and camera (optional).
1 unit of credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – please check at the workshop.
How To Register:
Call (800) 841-5193 ~ Or use our Online Registration Form: either mail, fax, or use your credit card on our secure server. Visa, Master Card, Discover, and American Express accepted (US funds only).