Create a “Live” Mathematics Classroom
Workshop for Grades K-6
Creative Mathematics is very excited to be offering classes presented by Marcy Cook. Marcy is one of the top math presenters in the nation and we are thrilled to be offering her classes to you! Marcy Cook, independent math consultant and author, has been sharing ideas for math centers for years with teachers throughout the USA and in international schools on the continents of Asia, Europe, Africa, and South America. In this lively and information-packed seminar, for teachers grades K-6, Marcy will share her effective hands-on activities. You will learn how to successfully organize daily math lessons and plan independent task time. A day with Marcy will be a day well spent!
Join Marcy Cook's class Create a "Live" Mathematics Classroom for an inspirational day filled with innovative hands-on math activities to get your students actively involved with math. She will show you quick and effective daily 5-minute warm-ups to begin your math time. She'll demonstrate a variety of mental math strategies that develop Reasoning, Number Sense, Computation and Problem-Solving skills. And you'll learn how to use multi-level activities to reinforce learning during independent task time. Come spend a day with Marcy, a day you'll never forget!
About The Speaker:
Marcy Cook master educator, author and math specialist, has presented workshops and seminars for teachers throughout the USA and in over three dozen foreign countries. Having taught two years in the International School in Thessaloniki Greece, she has provided math inservices in South America, Central America, Canada, Mexico, Asia, Africa and Europe. With a Bachelor of Arts from the University of California, Santa Barbara, and a Masters Degree from Stanford University she has taught all elementary grades, junior high, high schools and university levels. Marcy currently works as an independent math consultant training thousands of enthusiastic teachers with her active, hands-on workshops. Her experience with classroom teaching, GATE (gifted and talented education), and student teaching supervision have inspired her to create meaningful math materials (over 100 books and 190 tile task card packets) and to share her ideas with others. Marcy is a very creative and innovative presenter who brings energy and motivation to her sessions. Her active hands-on workshops leave teachers with practical ideas and strategies to take back to the classroom immediately.
Make It Count! 5 Minute Math Warm Ups
- See "hands on" starters which actively engage every student
- Observe questioning techniques that promote divergent mathematical thinking
- Participate in rich number sense activities
- Engage students with estimation and risk taking on a daily basis
- Deal with place value and communication skills simultaneously
- Incorporate mathematical vocabulary into each day's activities
- Engage in 100 chart activities to reinforce mathematical skills
Basics At Their Best: Develop Mental Math Skills
- See how to develop a strong math foundation….while having fun!
- Build computation competency without using a pencil
- Incorporate "if…then…" reasoning into your daily routine
- Participate in activities to boost kids number sense and logical thinking skills
- Engage in a variety of mental math activities which focus on communication
- Constantly assess students thinking with the expectation that all participate
Independent Task Time That Meets The Needs of All Kids!
- Learn how to use independent task time to maximize learning
- See how multi-level math activity centers can be used for individual reinforcement and enrichment
- See independent activities focusing on algebraic and geometric thinking
- Extend quality math learning time: practical management tips that make centers work for you without a lot of work from you
What You Will Learn:
- Build math skills with Marcy's 5-minute warm-ups
- Plan hands-on activities that make math more meaningful
- Present lessons that teach and reinforce addition, subtraction, multiplication & division
- Differentiate your math instruction with multi-level activities
- Use independent task time to reinforce math concepts
- Develop Number Sense for a strong foundation
- Teach your students Strategic Problem-Solving skills
- Use questioning strategies to let kids show what they know
- Build vocabulary and skills using the "100 chart"
- Quickly assess students' math understanding
- Use math manipulatives as alternatives to drill and practice
Who Should Attend?
All K-6 Classroom Teachers, Resource Specialists, Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators should attend.
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15 service charge.
This Seminar Includes:
Morning Coffee & Pastries
Extensive Resource Handbook
Registration 8:00 am
Class Starts 8:30 am
No Host Lunch 11:45 am
Adjourn 3:00 pm
½ unit of credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – details provided at the seminar.