Children's Literature and Smart Math Strategies to Teach Mathematical Content – 2 Day (Julie Wofford)
Putting the Standards to Work
Children's Literature and Smart Math Strategies to Teach Mathematical Content is a two-day course for K-5 teachers designed by Kim Sutton of Creative Mathematics. It is being taught by Kim Sutton Associate, Julie Wofford, who is extensively trained in Kim Sutton's materials. This course gives elementary teachers powerful math content instruction with integrated literature that will effectively improve students' understand and performance in a standards-based math classroom.
This class is aligned to state, provincial and Common Core Standards for mathematics using powerful brain-based research to teach mathematical content in five emphasis areas—Smart Strategies for Number Sense, Math Humor and Motivation, Math with Money, Transformational and Three-Dimensional Geometry and Probability and Data Analysis.
Kim Sutton Associate, Julie Wofford, will model strategies using selected literature titles for real world connections helping students move away from just counting to mathematical solutions. An extensive bibliography of children's literature will be included. Teachers will experience Kim Sutton's motivational approach through Julie Wofford for utilizing "smart strategies" to move students from counting into meaningful computation done without labor or hardship! Some of the smart strategies include doubling numbers, factoring, subtraction, shortcuts for computation and the power of multiples. This class will bring new ideas for using a monthly riddle board in the classroom, along with inspirational ideas that bring new life into your classroom. Participants will work with "hands on" ideas for transformational geometry and the study of three-dimensional objects.
Throughout this intensive workshop, teachers will gain knowledge about the importance of activities that engage students in intensive data analysis opportunities. New ideas that include games, songs, literature, and "hands on" activities will be included in this workshop! Your classroom will be a "happening" place for learning intensive mathematics. Come and experience a Kim Sutton workshop taught by Julie Wofford who brings amazing expertise and enthusiasm to teaching math that will have a great impact on your teaching! Don't miss it!
What You Will Learn:
- Participants will build stronger mathematical knowledge through five areas of emphasis—-smart strategies for number sense, math humor and motivation, math with money, transformational and three-dimensional geometry, probability and data analysis.
- Participants will learn brain-based research on effective techniques for instruction of mathematical content.
- Participants will learn the newest titles of powerful children's literature that model important thinking strategies.
- Participants will experience new and "classic" management "treasures" that assist in creating a visual connection to math content in the classroom.
- Participants will learn about specific tools for mathematical content that are constructed by elementary students through "masters" included in the course manual.
- Participants will learn how to assist students to move beyond counting and become thinkers of mathematics through the "smart strategies" of computation.
- Participants will learn why algebraic thinking and data analysis are critical to the elementary classroom.
- Participants will learn what the guiding principles of elementary mathematics are and how to get these "big ideas" across to students.
About The Speaker:
Julie Wofford is a master teacher and Instructional Coach that motivates teachers and students. She has over 20 years of experience in the field of education and has taught in some of the most challenging situations. Julie has a Master's Degree in Curriculum Instruction and has presented many workshops on classroom management and ways to make math exciting for both teachers and students. She is currently a Math Coach and is thrilled to be working with Kim Sutton Associates. Julie is excited to present to teachers the math materials created by Kim Sutton. These materials are specifically designed to move classrooms from "good at math" to "AWESOME at meaningful math concepts." Her interactive, hands-on and creative activities will leave teachers with ideas, strategies and tools that can be used to immediately impact math instruction and performance.
Registration 8:00 am
Class Starts 8:30 am
No Host Lunch 11:45 am
Adjourn 3:00 pm
Who Should Attend?
All K-5 Classroom Teachers, Resource Specialists, Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators should attend.
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15.00 service charge.
1 unit of credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – details provided at the seminar.
What To Bring:
Scissors, marking pens, scotch tape, glue stick, stapler, hole punch and camera (optional).
How To Register:
Call (800) 841-5193 ~ or use our Online Registration Form: either mail, fax, or use your credit card on our secure server. Visa, Master Card, Discover, and American Express accepted (US funds only).