A Balanced Math Class
Key to Mathematical Competence Grades K-6
Creative Mathematics is very excited to be offering classes presented by Marcy Cook. Marcy is one of the top math presenters in the nation and we are thrilled to be bringing her classes to you! In this lively and information-packed seminar, for teachers grades K-6, Marcy will share her effective hands-on activities. You will learn how to successfully balance your math class and involve all students in meaningful mathematics. A day with Marcy will be a day well spent!
Join Marcy Cook's new class, A Balanced Math Class – Key to Mathematical Competence for an inspirational day filled with innovative hands-on math activities. She will focus on the importance of balancing the basics & problem solving, cooperative & individual work, teaching concepts & providing puzzling independent task time activities. Emphasis will be on teaching for understanding, developing number sense and reasoning, and expecting perseverance when facing new and challenging problems. Watch Marcy model standards for mathematical practice as you engage in motivational, thinking activities.
About the Speaker:
Marcy Cook master educator, author and math specialist, has presented workshops and seminars for teachers throughout the USA and in over three dozen foreign countries. Having taught two years in the International School in Thessaloniki Greece, she has provided math inservices in South America, Central America, Canada, Mexico, Asia, Africa and Europe. With a Bachelor of Arts from the University of California, Santa Barbara, and a Masters Degree from Stanford University she has taught all elementary grades, junior high, high schools and university levels. Marcy currently works as an independent math consultant training thousands of enthusiastic teachers with her active, hands-on workshops. Her experience with classroom teaching, GATE (gifted and talented education), and student teaching supervision have inspired her to create meaningful math materials (over 100 books and 190 tile task card packets) and to share her ideas with others. Marcy is a very creative and innovative presenter who brings energy and motivation to her sessions. Her active hands-on workshops leave teachers with practical ideas and strategies to take back to the classroom immediately.
BALANCE THE BASICS WITH PROBLEM SOLVING
- Have students "doing" and "seeing" before memorizing
- Provide visualizations and tools for continual engagement
- Use tiles to constantly assess
- Participate in a variety of rich number sense starting activities
- See how centers can be used for differentiation
TEACH AND THEN HAVE QUALITATIVE PRACTICE
- Teach for meaningful understanding
- Embrace big ideas–the equation as a balance
- See a variety of ways to deal with balancing
- Provide reasoning opportunities on a regular basis
- Involve all students in exploration and discovery
- Challenge students with quality problems
- Participate in multi level tasking with equations
BALANCE INDIVIDUAL & COOPERATIVE MATH WORK
- Engage students with place value starters alone and with a partner
- See how to turn simple tasks into more complex ones
- Provide scavenger hunts to communicate and work together
- Do double tiling for place value and vocabulary understanding
- Ensure that critical thinking is a classroom value
- Utilize questioning techniques to promote divergent mathematical thinking
- Accomplish cooperative problem solving tasks
What You Will Learn:
- Maintain a balance with basic skills and problem solving
- Shift instruction from telling to involving
- Plan activities to develop number sense
- Ensure understanding of concepts & vocabulary
- Incorporate reasoning into your daily routines
- Constantly assess student understanding
- Question to promote divergent thinking
- Utilize independent task time to reinforce math concepts
- Provide individual and cooperative activities
- Teach a BIG idea for understanding
- Keep skills alive with meaningful activities
- Differentiate to meet the needs of individual students
- Provide encounters of the puzzling kind
- Expect perseverance with challenging problems
- Maximize your math minutes
Who Should Attend?
All K-6 Classroom Teachers, Resource Specialists, Curriculum Coordinators and Administrators should attend.
Substitutions may be made at any time. All cancellations received the day of the seminar or afterwards are subject to a $15 service charge.
Registration 8:00 am
Class Starts 8:30 am
Lunch 11:45 am
Class Ends 3:00 pm
This Seminar Includes:
Morning Coffee & Pastries, Lunch
Tool Kit & Extensive Resource Handbook
½ unit of credit from Humboldt State University is available for an additional charge. These credential/licensure courses offered are designed primarily for elective or professional development purposes. Clock hours may also be available – please check at the workshop. Verification of hours of participation will be provided for continuing education or recertification.